While New York City is composed of islands and intersected with rivers and marine throughways within every borough, city dwellers rarely embrace any aquatic entertainment within their own backyards. ONE°15, a new marina within the Brooklyn Bridge Park public waterfront, opened this month on the banks of Brooklyn Heights and aims to remind New Yorkers of an overlooked benefit of living within a coastal city. The marina is the first of its kind to open in New York City in more than 50 years.
Renovations of the Grolier Club’s Upper East Side headquarters at 47 East 60th Street are now complete following a $4.6 million overhaul of the building’s public exhibition hall. Designed by Ann Beha Architects, the improvements are described as an effort to enhance the historic interior spaces by incorporating modern technology and new materials. Founded in 1884, the Grolier Club is the country’s oldest society of bibliophiles. The private club, which was originally constructed in 1917, maintains an exquisite collection of rare and historic books, manuscripts, and sacred texts.
The Rockwell Group is set to appear before the New York City Landmark Preservation Commission in defense of its proposed alterations to The Town Hall theater. Located in the heart of Midtown at 123 West 43rd Street, the structure first opened in 1921 and has retained its original exterior massing and design for nearly a century.
The Brooklyn Navy Yard Development Corporation has revealed new renderings of Building 212, a five-story, mixed-use property within the expanding Navy Yard campus. In addition to manufacturing and office space, the 500,000-square-foot building will also house New York City’s first Wegmans supermarket.
Construction on the new expansion of the Jacob K. Javits Center is taking shape very quickly. Steel columns, beams, and large diagonal trusses can easily be seen rising above the original building from the street and from across the Hudson River, with multiple yellow construction cranes swinging and lifting the structural components into place.