Permits have been filed for a nine-story mixed-use building at 16 East 16th Street in Union Square, Manhattan. Located between Union Square West and Fifth Avenue, the lot is steps away from the Union Square subway station, serviced by the 4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R, and W trains. Trevor Stahelski under the Gramercy Park House LLC is listed as the owner behind the applications.
City agencies have kicked off construction on a 21-story “tech hub” at 124 East 14th Street in Manhattan, just east of Union Square. Known officially as the Union Square Tech Training Center, the project is poised to accelerate the diversification of New York City’s technology sector through the provision of education facilities, vocational training, and on-site resources for local start-ups.
Proposals from the Francesca Russo Architect design team reveal plans to modernize exterior elements of an aging Greek Revival-style building at 5 West 16th Street. Located near Union Square Park, the building was originally completed in 1846 as a private residence. The home was later designated an official city landmark by the Landmarks Preservation Commission in June 1986.
Development around Union Square has always been tightly monitored, which makes any newsfor the neighborhood all the more exciting. Today, YIMBY has an exclusive first look at new renderings for 110 East 16th Street, a Morris Adjmi Architects-designed mixed-use building which hopes to rise 21 floors above ground. The City Landmark Preservation granted approval in January for the proposal, though the ULURP process is still underway. The current structure, a nine-story parking garage, may be one of the few in the area whose demolition won’t cause a stir.
Just South of Union Square, on Broadway between East 12th and East 13th Streets, there are two Italianate-inspired buildings from 1866 and 1867, at 827-831 Broadway. Back in 2015, the sites had been purchased for $60 million by the real estate investors Samson Klugman of Quality Capital, and Leo Tsimmer of Caerus Group. They had initially filed permits for a 300-foot-tall commercial space, but that was stopped when the Landmarks Preservation Commission awarded landmark status for the 150-year old construction.