New images have been revealed for the future of 257 Washington Avenue, in Brooklyn’s Clinton Hill. The revised design, which will go before the LPC later today, will take the site which was formerly St. Luke’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, and convert it into eight townhomes. Plans show the main structure will feature four larger units, with another four spread inside a connected three-story building at the back of the lot.
Upon renovation, the Brookland Capital-owned property will feature townhouse units ranging in size from one to three bedrooms. All eight units will also take advantage of three floors of space for development.
Built in 1895, the site had served as a church until 2014, when it was shuttered. Brookland Capital scooped up the property in August of 2015, for a then record-breaking $8.8 million, as first reported by the Commercial Observer.
Proposed structural modifications would include the removal of two crosses from roof peaks as well as the addition of several new windows and skylights. The proposed renderings show an effort made by the project’s designer, Feingold and Gregory Architects, to preserve the structure’s original and historic architecture.
No date of completion is yet available.
The site’s immediate proximity to the Pratt Institute makes the location extremely desirable, however the proposed sizes of its townhomes hint of a price point a bit out of reach of students. The property is a short walk away from the Clinton-Washington Avenues and Classon Avenue subway stations, which offer service on the G line.